Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Epiphany

Hello!
After weeks and weeks of trying to find time to be able to email everyone, I finally had an epiphany at 1 AM... I could just create a blog where you could ALL go to see what I'm up to! And so I'll try to keep this updated with pictures and little blurbs about what's going on with me here in Utah. :]

Well, for those of you who don't know, it decided to snow here this past weekend. I was QUITE unprepared for the sudden drop in temperature, especially when I discovered that my tempurpedic mattress and pillow literally FREEZE when it gets cold. And so now my bed and my pillow are solid as a rock, which can create a very uncomfortable place to sleep. So I have been frequenting the couch in our "living room"... :]

Well, my roommates and I have had some pretty crazy times. We all get along really well, which is wonderful, because we don't care about making fools of ourselves with each other! Here's some pics of some of the more wild times we've had. :]

This was taken this past weekend. Somers, Mallory, and I went to the local Love You Long Time concert, where we also heard The Brobecks and Seve vs. Evan open for them. The dress for the concert was 80s style because they were filming a music video! So my hands MAY appear in a music video sometime soon... Mallory won hands down in terms of costume. Her makeup was amazingly ridiculous, complete with a fake mole on her cheek. :]


This photo was taken two weekends ago. Mallory and Somers were both very bored on a Friday night... and so they decided to play dress up, and I was kidnapped and dressed like a doll by Mallory. Mallory's outfit was by FAR the best. Her wardrobe is just perfect for going crazy!



This was a few weekends ago. We moved all of the furniture from our living room/kitchen to one side the room and then laid out blankets and pillows to watch a movie (on a very tiny laptop screen that half of us couldn't see). In this picture starting from the left and working to the back are: Derek, Matt, Melissa, Bethany, Julie, and Scott. And in the front from left to right are Somers, Krista, and Alden.


And this was the other side of the kitchen :]








We pride ourselves on being very smart in our apartment... After our movie, we were so tired, we decided we didn't want to haul all of the blankets and pillows back into our rooms. And so instead, we hauled three mattresses into the kitchen to make one big bed we could all sleep on... which probably ended up being a lot more work than just picking up the blankets and pillows. :]



This was one of our more brilliant weekends. On Friday night, Somers and I sat outside talking to Jackson (on the far right) until 4:30 in the morning... and then realized we had no keys to get back into our apartment. We ended up knocking on Mallory and Krista's windows to wake them up to let us in. And then Saturday night, we decided we were too lazy to make dinner for ourselves, so Julie, Scott, Jackson, Somers, and I all hopped on the bus bound for Orem and had a lovely dinner at Mimi's Cafe. However, we forgot to check the bus schedule to see when the LAST bus would leave for Provo... and missed it. So we were stranded in Orem for a good hour before Scott's roommate, Peter, came and rescued us with a nice toasty heater to warm us up after sitting at the bus stop for an hour.

This was at the BYU vs UCLA game. BYU creamed UCLA 59 to nothing!!!
from left to right: me, Julie, Somers, Krista (Scott is taking the picture)





My roommates recently discovered that I like to do people's hair and makeup... And so in the past week I have been busy doing makeup and hair for parties and homecoming and dates. This picture was actually taken a few weeks ago when Krista asked me to do her makeup for a freshman party we were attending. Below is a picture of the finished product, and in the bottom right picture I am in the process of curling and pinning up Julie's hair for homecoming.
















My roommate, Somers, and I get along really well. We're complete polar opposites: I love the colors black and red-she loves cream and light blue, I like music and art-she likes football and running, I enjoy listening to harder rock, she listens to lighter rock and country (blech!). We frequently have music battles where she turns up her country music really loud just to rile me up, and I'll in turn crank up the volume and blast Evanescence or Three Days Grace. She's a creative chef, I make boxed dinners (SOMETIMES I get creative... I don't always eat out of a box :] ). Yet despite all of our differences in fashion, music, and personality, we get along wonderfully. We are always teasing each other, laughing, or simply enjoying each other's company. After knowing her for only two days, we were already joking around as if we were sisters. We've actually had many people comment on how close we are, even for roommates, and we just smile and agree. After only a couple days of getting to know Somers, it feels like we've known each other all our lives. She's one of the coolest roommates I could have ever hoped for. :]

All of my roommates are really cool. We have tons of fun together and we've all gotten very close in such a short amount of time. I suppose when six girls are thrown into a tiny little apartment in a place where you don't know anyone, it's easy to bond quickly. This was taken our first weekend with the five of us here (our sixth roommate, McKenzie is usually gone on the weekends... she lives only 20 minutes away and likes to stay at home over the weekend). Krista and Julie (left and top) are both from Idaho Falls, Idaho and went to the same high school, so the two of them already knew each other. Mallory, to my immediate right, comes from Wyoming, Minnesota, and is a very crazy, spastic person that spices up any dull moment. She loves to make things awkward, and is absolutely loving the fact that it's getting colder now. Somers, to the far right, is from Flower Mound, Texas, near Dallas. She loves the simple, light look--I had a lot of fun when she gave me free reign to do her makeup one night (I fully took advantage of the 'free reign' part and used my darkest eyeshadow colors. It looked good, but she just about had a heart attack when she looked in the mirror and saw such dark colors on her face. She never wears more than a little coverup and light brown eyeliner).


These were taken this past Saturday during the homecoming game against New Mexico. McKenzie, her boyfriend, and his twin brother gave Somers, Mallory, and I their All-Sport Passes so that we could go to the game and so we got all ready in our winter gear (it was 34 degrees outside) and went to the game with Julie, Krista, and Scott... only to find out that in order to get into the game, they needed to print out tickets online for us. So after running around for a half hour trying to figure out if we could get the tickets printed, we discovered it was impossible without getting their passwords and netIDs... which we weren't going to ask them for. So we watched the game at home on our lovely TV that our friend Jackson brought us (I was complaining to him that we had no TV to watch the Office on, and he had an extra at home, which is three hours away, so on one of his weekend trips home, he picked it up for us). And notice the lovely hat I'm wearing... Julie crocheted it for me. It's the BYU colors and it has a Y on the side.




And it is now 2:42 AM and I need to get to sleep so I can wake up for class tomorrow! I'll post more later!

-Cate

No comments: