Friday, October 23, 2009

Busy Busy Busy!!!

Hallo!

Well, I may not have time to finish everything I want to say in this post because we've got a busy weekend ahead of us! But I shall try. :)

I'm off the pain meds for my teeth (whoohoo!) and then promptly got sick. Boo... :P But it wasn't too bad, just a bad cold, not the swine flu or anything, so no worries. I could still pretty much function (except in the mornings, because those are hard enough when I'm NOT sick :P), but I had a couple professors tell me to stay home, just in case. So lately I haven't been going to classes much, only a few. With half the school sick, professors are a lot more willing to keep you out of the class and help you make up your work later. :P

The Coventry boys have been watching movies in preparation for Halloween, so we've watched the House on Haunted Hill, Dracula (the old black and white from like, the 50s), Psycho, etc. Tonight we're going to try to watch Ringu, the Japanese movie that inspired The Ring (which was a JOKE. I laughed through that entire movie :P). The International Cinema is playing a bunch of movies for Halloween, so that's where we're gonna try to go tonight. They're also showing Nosferatu next week, along with Let the Right One In and Vampyr. And we watched Haunting In Connecticut (which was disappointing... I'd heard it was pretty scary but ended up thinking of a Book of Mormon lesson I had last semester in the middle of it... you know it's a badly made movie when it can make me start thinking of gospel lessons in the middle :P). We're wanting to watch the Sixth Sense sometime this weekend, but we'll see if THAT happens, what with everything else we have going on.

Also, Matt (from Coventry), got his halo off! I can't remember if I mentioned his halo... well, he broke his neck at Lake Powell this summer and had to wear one of those huge metal braces that's like, screwed into his head. And he just got it off this past Monday! He looks really different with it off, which is funny, cause... it's not like it blocked his face or anything. :P But now he just has to wear a small neckbrace (which he can remove) for another 3 weeks or so and then he's all set. He's got four little red scars, two on either temple and then the other two on the back of his head, where they screwed the brace in. He showed us the screws they used, and WOW they're sharp! He also said they didn't give him anything for pain when they took the screws out and that it didn't hurt, but he could feel them twisting the screws and could feel it in his head. Blech... so weird. :P But he's happy he gets to take showers and wear shirts he can pull over his head and rinse his mouth in the sink again. Oh, and turn his head. That's a big one. :P

Aaaand... oh, for our Activities Committee, we have this ongoing competition right now that's pretty fun. It's a pumpkin stealing contest. Everyone was given two small pumpkins, and the objective is to steal the pumpkins from other apartments and have the most pumpkins in the end. Whomever wins gets a $100 gift card to a restaurant, second is $50, and third... gets... $25 I think? Or maybe it's just candy. :P Anyways, its pretty fun. Unfortunately... both of ours got stolen like, ASAP. So.... we have none now. :P One was by my VISITING TEACHERS. So mean... I was lulled into a false sense of security, thinking they were being all good and nice, teaching me a lesson and chatting... and then as they're leaving they just snatch it and run! And the other was taken by one of Sarah's friends, Trevor. I don't know HOW he got it out, because we had it tied to our spice rack, but somehow he managed to get it out and run in the few seconds we had our backs turned.

And... well, that's about all I can remember for now :P This weekend is going to be a lot of fun. But we've got so much planned that now we have to pick and choose, and decide which things we'd rather do, which is kinda sad, cause we want to do it ALL! :)

We're going to celebrate Julie's birthday belatedly today. We've all been super busy and haven't had a chance to get together to have a party, so we're going to do that. And we also want to see Ringu tonight, which is in the International Cinema (which... I said earlier, I believe). And then there's ALSO the ESPN College Game Day going on tomorrow morning, and people are camping out (in tents and everything) in front of the football stadium so they can be on TV, and the Coventry boys are one of them. They have a 10 person tent, so tonight they're going to watch a bunch of movies in the tent while they camp out and we're also wanting to go watch with them. They ALSO may have an extra tent for us, so we might end up camping out tonight too. Apparently this is the first time in forever that ESPN has held the College Game Day thing here at BYU. And then for tomorrow, not only is there the ESPN broadcast, there's ALSO a service activity our ward is doing at Temple Square, planting bulbs, which we've been planning to do since they announced it. But that and the ESPN broadcast are at the same time... so... we don't know what we're going to do. And then tomorrow is also Homecoming, and its the big game against TCU who totally crushed us in a humiliating game last year, so we'll see how THAT turns out. And ALSO tomorrow, is Dark Water, another Japanese film being shown in the International Cinema that we've been wanting to see. We've heard that one is pretty scary too, so we wanted to go.

Sigh... so many opportunities! We still don't know WHAT we're going to do. I believe Jordan is picking up a tent from his house for us right now, so we could do that... but we just have to decide whether or not we want to camp out or go plant bulbs... which... they do that every year, but not ESPN... but Somers and Mack won't be here next fall, so they won't be able to plant bulbs... Sigh. We don't know. :P

Speaking of them not being here, it's so sad! We all just recently realized that next year, it'll probably just be me, Mal, and Krista during the fall. McKenzie will most likely be serving a mission by then (crazy!) and Somers wants to study abroad in Italy next fall. So she'll come back in the winter, but... I dunno. She may not get to room with us because its just the winter semester and not fall. So we'll see. But yeah, chances are it'll just be the three of us next year. Sad. :(

Uhm... well, it's getting chillier here, which I love. It's been hot for FAR too long. :) Everyone gets mad at me when I start cheering for the overcast weather outside though :P It's still pretty warm--most of the time you can walk outside in either a REALLY light jacket or a 3/4 length sleeve. Unless you're just a space heater like Mack, and then you can walk out in shorts and a t-shirt, but that's just her. :P But I'm excited to bring out my winter wardrobe--most of my clothes are still in boxes shoved under my bed or in the storage closet because I have too many to fit in my closet and I haven't needed any winter clothes yet. A few weeks ago it snowed on the mountains behind us, and it's rained a few times on campus, but it always clears up and gets sunny again. Today's a pretty nice day--its sunny, but there's a cold wind, which I like. :)

Anyways, I think that's about everything... my makeup class is going really well. We've finished middle age makeup, and now we're working with putty to make fake ears, noses, chins, etc. Or wounds. Half the class is doing wounds and the other half is doing more fantasy-type makeup. Of course, I'm in the fantasy half. :P So for my graded project, I'm making myself an elven princess (which you can see pictures of on Facebook... but that's not the final product. I only have one ear done in that, and I'm going to do my eyes differently). Its fun though. I get to block out my eyebrows (which actually hurt quite a bit... you have to use a glue stick to glue your eyebrows down flat and then cover them with makeup). I get a LOT of weird stares when I walk back from class lately. :P I'm either old or... have scary, ridiculously high and pointy eyebrows and one pointed elf ear... One guy made my day though. Everyone was doing that awkward "stare and look away quickly when you're caught" thing, and this one guy, he glanced at me and kept walking, then totally stopped and did this dramatic double-take. Then he gave me this huge grin and two thumbs up. I was like, thank you, random person, for openly acknowledging I look like a freak today! :) It made me happy. I was smiling the whole way home and continuing to get weird stares. :P

It's cool because I'm doing the makeup for the Pardoe theater, so it has to be seen 30 feet away, so it's more dramatic than for film. So from far away, I made it so that my face is narrower and pointier, and that my nose is a lot thinner, and I also changed the shape of my lips. I blocked out parts of my bottom lip and made it smaller and thinner. It's.... pretty cool. Not gonna lie. :P My face looks so much angular when you look at it from 30 feet away with that makeup on. Very elf-ish. :P

Anyways, Somers and I are going to head out to get some ice cream! Whoo! I'll update again later when I have more to say :)

See ya!

No comments: