Monday, October 11, 2010

It's Only Been a Month?!

Well, quite a bit has happened since I last posted, but at the same time, I feel like nothing has happened. Most of my time is spent doing schoolwork, so there's really not much to report there. I'm just really busy most of the time.

I have Fridays off this semester, though, so I get a three day weekend EVERY week. It's pretty sweet. :)

I've gone through my first round of midterms already, and this week is round two. When I pulled up my calendar at the beginning of this month I wanted to die. Every single week has at least one midterm, and there are several papers scattered throughout it as well. This week in particular is going to be the most brutal. Three midterms and two papers. Next week is the lightest week, so I'll have a week to recuperate and prepare for the next round of midterms the following week, but still, it's not much of a break. But as soon as I muscle my way through October, the month of November is completely free of tests. I don't think I have a single midterm scheduled for November. Plus, I'll get to go home in November, and that will be a very welcome break.

As for my life outside of school... well, two weeks ago I was pretty busy every night. We went stargazing, saw Scott Pilgrim vs. The World at the dollar theater (excellent movie, by the way. I'm sad it got such poor reception, because it's the only movie I can think of that had me laughing throughout the entire thing), and... fed ducks at the duck pond. :) It was a pretty fun week.

Yesterday was pretty busy as well. After church, a guy in our ward, Taylor James Henderson III (he never introduces himself any other way), was locked out of his apartment and we had been planning to feed him dinner since he apparently had absolutely no food, so he came over to hang out till one of his roommates came back home. So he was over for a few hours and that was a lot of fun, he's a hilarious guy. Later we had a big apartment dinner, which was a lot of fun, then Mal, Krista, and I went singing at the Rehabilitation Center next to the hospital. I've never gone before, but I decided to today, and I'm glad I did. It's a lot of fun, and some of the people there are just really funny and awesome.

There is this one man, Richard, who I guess has been there for a long time, because several of the people who go every week to sing know him pretty well. He was showing us all the pictures in his room, his kids and grandkids, his wife, and then these pictures of him as a conductor of several orchestras, as a singer in a huge choir that performed in Carnegie Hall, and as a professional violinist. Apparently this guy was like, a really big deal in the music world when he was younger. So of course, those of us who had never come before were intimidated about singing in front of this music expert, but it was a lot of fun. He started conducting us and sang along with us and would tell us stories in between songs. He was a really cool guy.

Then a little bit later we had Dessert Night, which was a lot of fun. Everyone just brings dessert to a designated apartment and chats. There were a LOT of people this Sunday, probably because it was the first official one of the semester, since our ward has had trouble getting started and organized this year. But it was a lot of fun, and I met several new people.

After dessert night we watched Ghostbusters at Scott and Matt's apartment to start off the weekend Halloween movies for October. I hadn't seen that movie in ages, so it was basically like watching it for the first time.

And now after a weekend of fun, it's time to buckle down and get through this week. This week will definitely be the worst this month, but at least my tests are all slightly spread out. Every single one overlaps, but they all run a different amount of days and they're distributed evenly enough that I won't have to take more than one on any particular day this week. So that's nice, cause I can spread out my studying and focus on just one, then move on to the next.

And I think that's about it for now. Time to buckle down and hope I make it through this week alive. :)

No comments: